Runners Compete for Grail of Endurance at St. Augustine Half Marathon.
St. Augustine, FL – Runners in the November 16 St. Augustine Half Marathon are competing for a chance to cross the finish line first or simply log their own personal best time. But another trophy awaits runners that is unique to the St. Augustine race – the Grail of Endurance.
Sponsored by the St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra & The Beaches Visitors and Convention Bureau, the Ponce de Leon Grail of Endurance recognizes the most senior of runners, both male and female, who complete the race – no matter where they place in their age division. The Grail is reminiscent of the destination’s world famous Fountain of Youth Archeological Park.
“The Ponce de Leon Grail of Endurance recognizes runners for their perseverance, not unlike that of the Spanish explorers like Ponce de Leon who was the first European to discover Florida and Pedro Menendez de Aviles, who settled St. Augustine 450 years ago,” said Rick Hensler, director of promotions for the Visitors and Convention Bureau. “In ceremonial tradition, the engraved pewter chalices will be filled with water from St. Augustine’s Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park and presented by an official re-enactor of Ponce de Leon himself, followed by a toast to the winners’ success, good health and longevity.”
The St. Augustine Half Marathon Weekend November 15-16 brings together thousands of participants from across the United States, and even internationally, with the common goal of raising awareness and generating vital funds for autism research. Project Autism of St. Johns is the beneficiary of the November race.
The weekend activities will have the entire family excited, training together to reach goals appropriate to their individual athletic level. The race route travels through the history-filled streets of the Old City. The schedule for the race is as follows:
Saturday November 15, 2014:
- 5:30 a.m. Packet Pick Up (5K, 10K and Kids’ Race) Opens // Francis Field
- 6:30 a.m. Packet Pick Up (5K, 10K and Kids’ Race) Closes // Francis Field
- 6:55 a.m. National Anthem // Francis Field
- 7:00 a.m. St. Augustine 10K Run // Francis Field
- 7:05 a.m. St. Augustine 5K Family Run //Francis Field
- 9:00 a.m. EXPO Opens // Francis Field
- 9:00 a.m. St. Augustine Kids’ Race // Francis Field
- 9:30 a.m. Awards Ceremony for 5K & 10K Races // Francis Field
- 11:00 a.m. Packet Pick Up (Half Marathon) Opens //Francis Field
- 6:00 p.m. EXPO & Packet Pick Up Closes // Francis Field
Sunday November 16, 2014:
- 5:30 a.m. Packet Pick Up Opens // Francis Field
- 6:30 a.m. Packet Pick Up Closes // Francis Field
- 6:55 a.m. National Anthem // Castillo de San Marcos
- 7:00 a.m. St. Augustine Half Marathon Start // Castillo de San Marcos
- 10:00 a.m. EXPO Opens // Francis Field
- 10:00 a.m. Awards Ceremony for Half Marathon // Francis Field
- 1:00 p.m. EXPO Closes // Francis Field
For more information or to register for the race, go to www.staugustinehalfmarathon.com.
Located midway between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville, Florida’s Historic Coast includes historic St. Augustine, the outstanding golf and seaside elegance of Ponte Vedra, 42 miles of pristine Atlantic beaches. For more information on events, activities, holiday getaway and vacation opportunities in St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra & The Beaches, go to the Visitors and Convention Bureau website at www.FloridasHistoricCoast.com, become a fan on Facebook or call 1.800.653.2489.