St. Augustine, FL – Four hundred and forty-nine years ago, in September 1565, Admiral Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés stepped ashore on Matanzas Bay and founded St. Augustine, Florida, the oldest continuously occupied, European city, port, and parish in the continental United States.
On Saturday, September 6, 2014, the annual, historical reenactment of Menéndez’ landing and anniversary commemorations will be held at Mission Nombre de Dios (www.missionandshrine.org) in St. Augustine, Florida. .
This heritage Event will feature:
- the historical re-enactment of Admiral Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés’ landing in 1565 by Florida Living History, Inc.;
- period liturgical music provided by volunteers from Cantorae St. Augustine (www.cantorae.com);
- a Mass of Thanksgiving;
- a Grand Procession following the Mass of Thanksgiving;
- a performance of a scene from a 16th-century Spanish play by Florida Living History, Inc.’s Theater with a Mission group, will follow the Mass and Procession; this presentation is funded by a grant from the Florida Humanities Council through the National Endowment for the Humanities.
The anniversary commemoration will begin at 10AM and will end, approximately, at noon; admission is free of charge to the public. Ample, free parking is available on-site. Seating is limited, so please consider bringing a folding chair. Additional activities will take place next door at Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park (www.fountainofyouthflorida.com/), following the Founding Day heritage commemoration at Mission Nombre de Dios.
Florida Living History, Inc.’s partners in St. Augustine’s traditional Founding Day Event include:
- The Florida Historical Society – http://myfloridahistory.org/;
- The St. Augustine 450th Commemoration – http://staugustine-450.com/;
- The St. Augustine Historical Society – www.staugustinehistoricalsociety.org/;
- The St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra & The Beaches Visitors & Convention Bureau –
- Viva Florida 500 – www.vivaflorida.org/;
- And others!
This heritage Event is sponsored by Mission Nombre de Dios ( www.missionandshrine.org/ ) – the Birthplace of America and Cradle of Christianity in the continental United States – and by Florida Living History, Inc.(www.floridalivinghistory.org). Financial support is provided, in part, by the Florida Humanities Council and by the continued support of Florida Living History, Inc.’s donors.
Founded in St. Augustine, Florida, in 2009, Florida Living History, Inc. (FLH), is a community based, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization of volunteers dedicated to educating the public about Florida’s colonial and territorial history, using living-history programs, demonstrations, and recreated portrayals of significant historical events. FLH supports educational initiatives that promote a greater understanding and appreciation of Florida’s, and America’s, rich and diverse heritage. For more information on Florida Living History, Inc., please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us, toll-free, at 1-877-FLA-HIST (1-877-352-4478)!
Follow us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Living-History-Inc/258911030802706!